Saturday, December 19, 2009

missing chennai :(

when i was in chennai i happened to visit Ratna Café, a quaint little restaurant with a formidable reputation for the best idli-sambhar in all of Chennai. I’ve never been there before and as I entered the waft of fragrant sambhar hit me hard. Taking a corner seat, I looked around to see about 30 people eating there and all of them eating only idli-sambhar! I mean, I’ve heard of staple food and all that but 30 people gobbling up idlis drowning in a sea of sambhar as if it was elixir was a bit of a shock for me. Not a single person had dared to order for any other dish. I asked the waiter for a menu card and he gave me a have-you-just-landed-from-Mars look and pointed to a blackboard with some five items scribbled on it. Topmost on it written in bold was IDLI-SAMBHAR. Fine.
“I’ll have…”
He cut me short. “Idli Sambhar? Ok. Anything else?”
“But I never asked for idli-sambhar”
He repeated the ‘mars’ look mentioned above with some added dosage of incredulity and asked slowly as if trying to let the fact sink in.
“So you don’t want to eat idli-sambhar”
So it was some sort of hideous crime to go to Ratna Café and not eat idli-sambhar, I understood.
I gave up. “Ok, idli-sambhar. And a plate of sambhar vada. And coffee” Now he gave me a ‘are-you-going-to-eat-all-this-yourself’ look. Oh please, can’t a girl have a ‘healthy appetite??’ I gave a stare and he slunk away uneasily.
Two minutes ticked away. Our waiter arrived with a plate of fluffy white idlis and placed it before me. He had a large jug in his hand and I adjusted the water tumbler so that he could pour some water for me. Only thing the jug happened to contain sambhar and not water. He emptied the sambhar on top of the idlis. Now I had two large, soft, fluffy idlis swimming tantalizingly in a jug full of sambhar before my eyes. I broke off a piece and out it into my mouth. My eyes closed automatically and the mouth went hmmmmmmmm… Divine is the word to describe the feeling. It’s the closest I’ve been to Moksha. The sambhar drenched spongy idlis just melted in my mouth and I couldn’t stop myself from a second helping. And a third. Err and then there was the vada which was another heavenly experience. And the filter coffee made with the right mix of freshly ground coffee beans and milk with sugar was the perfect way to round it all off :)
i njoyed it...
the mulagabajjis in besantnagar beach the walk in the evg and having bajjis ..the baskinrobin ice parlour and barista near besant nagar beach oh i miss them.......
then the mik do u no what i meant???its our own murugan idly kadai:)Still remember how some five or seven of us used to yell “butter onion uthappam” all at once at a shell shocked waiter and look at the butter coated uttappam reverently once it arrived. oh i missing chennai..the drive to mahabalipuram were we happen to meet our surya and jyothika then the dakshinchitra..the drive to pondicherry..i missing everything....:(
i am missing chennai to the core.....

5 comments:

R L Narayan-Manjunath said...

hmmm......wht else you can order for evening snack other than idli sambar??

anju said...

well i just happened to go there once their usp is idly sambar:)

anju said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You met Surya and Jyothika????And you just left it with just that passing comment??? Could you add more details to that "meeting" of one of the best loved couples in India?

anju said...

sharmila..i didnt get chance to interact with them....we jus saw the shooting enai kojam mati song from khaka khaka